History
Booking
Vinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo SliderVinaora Nivo Slider
Quite early in the 16th century there already was a trade route over water between Utrecht and Amsterdam.
In the year 1626 the decision was made to build a 'Sand & Towpath' next to the river from Breukelen to Ouderkerk.
Horses towed the trade boats over these paths, making commercial traffic less subject to weather conditions.
Soon after the path was built, the argument started: 'Who is paying for this?' Toll would be levied at two points; one was at "De Voetangel" near Amsterdam.
This made "de Voetangel a 'traffic junction', where travellers used to stop to freshen up and attend to their animals. This was the origin of the "De Voetangel Inn"
"De Voetangel Inn" not only catered for refreshing and lodging, but provided also entertainment as games and gambling.
When the bells of "de Voetangel" rang out, this was a sign to those in the know that a playing partner was waiting in the inn.
Where men sojourn, the ladies will follow and so a happy breeding ground for wild stories was established.
Some people claimed it was a satanic place and developed the superstitions to go with it. They saw the inn as a Siren, luring men with addictive entertainment.
Over the centuries, many tenants have ensured the continued existence of "de Voetangel". Weathering the ups and downs of a changing society.
In 1903, the first member of the Leurs family entered 'de Voetangel'. Around 1910 Rijk Leurs worked there as a sand and pebbles boatsmen.
In 1915 the communal management over the 'Sand & Towpath' between Utrecht and Amsterdam ended.
Consequence of this decision was the a'djournment of the toll collection and that the building "de Voetangel" was offered in 1916 in an auction.
Rijk Leurs bought the land and the fundaments of the building for the amount of fl. 700,-.
In 1925 the widow of Rijk Leurs built a new building on the foundation of the old inn .
Her two sons Driekus and Manus had established a sand, pebbles, coal and peat trade immediatly adjacent to the "de Voetangel".
In 1931 Driekus bought "de Voetangel" and the coal and peat trade, whereas his brother Manus took over the boat and the sand and pebble trade.
Next to the coal and peat trade Driekus started in 1931 a small pub annex tea-house with his wife Lien in "de Voetangel".
In this small but friendly café the renowned cabaret artist Wim Sonneveld frequently visited as a friend and guest.
Richard Leurs, son of Driekus Leurs became officially the owner of "de Voetangel" in 1968.
Slowly the coal and peat trade was ceasing to exist and Richard and his wife Ans decided to turn the small café into a restaurant.
The restaurant did well and 1974 they started to break down the old ramshackle of a building and replace it with a new café restaurant
On the history bound and famous location a new "Voetangel" resurrected.
Richard and Ans made the restaurant into a succefull business and held hereby on to old principles; easygoing hospitality in a beautiful scenery.
Later in 1983, 2002 and 2006 more fundamental rebuildings followed. Meanwhile the fourth generation is in charge now, daughter Conny and the son Henk and his girlfriend Sabine.